My son Danny asked me to make sweet and sour meatballs, so I looked at a few different recipes, and then came up with this. Both my boys really loved the meatballs, but I still like the texture more of meatballs made with beef. I’m planning to make them this year for the Jewish Holidays, but I think I’ll use organic chopped meat instead of the turkey. The sauce was delicious! I served them with baked stuffed potatoes, but they’d go well with mashed potatoes too.
for the meatballs:
- two pounds ground beef, or ground turkey (I used Empire Kosher ground turkey)- (I’ll use 3 pounds of organic beef the next time I made them)
- 2 large or extra large eggs (3 eggs for 3 lbs. of beef or turkey)
- 1/3 cup ketchup (1/2 cup for 3 pounds of beef or turkey)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (1 1/2 teaspoons for 3 lbs.)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (1 1/2 teaspoons for 3 lbs.)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (opt.) (I didn’t use when I used 3 lbs. of beef or turkey)
- about 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs (or matzoh meal for Passover) (one cup for 3 lbs. of beef or turkey)
- 4 oz. unsweetened apple sauce (I used this to give the turkey some moistness) (I used this same amount when I used 3 lbs. of beef)
- 1/2 onion, grated (didn’t use for beef)
Mix all ingredients together gently. Dampen your hands and make into meatballs about 1 1/2 in. in diameter. Set aside while you make the sauce.
for the sauce:
- one (14 oz.) can jellied cranberry sauce (2 cans for 3 pounds of beef or turkey)
- one (12 oz.) jar chili sauce (2 jars for 3 pounds of beef or turkey)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar about 2/3 cup for 3 pounds of beef or turkey)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons lemon juice (2 T. for 3 pounds of beef or turkey)
- 1/2 small 3 oz. can tomato paste (the tomato paste cuts the sweetness and makes the sauce rich) (1 small can for 3 lbs. of beef or turkey)
In largish pot, put all above ingredients. Stir over low flame until everything is dissolved. Place meatballs in carefully. Place over lowest flame, cover, and simmer for about 30-40 minutes without touching the meatballs. When the meatballs are firm enough, stir very gently. Cover and cook for about another hour, mixing gently every so often.
You can serve immediately, refrigerate and heat up later, or freeze in freezer containers when it is cool enough.
- Super Simple Kosher Pareve Chanukah Latke Recipe
- Best Menu for Christmas Dinner
- An iPhone Mobile App for the Kosher Cook
- Pour the whole jar of chili sauce into a 4 quart saucepan. Fill the chili sauce jar with water and add the water to the pan.
- Add the can of cranberry sauce and cook over medium-low heat until the cranberry sauce melts.
Directions for Making the Meatballs:
- While the sauce is cooking, mix the meat, egg, and onion together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (bread crumbs through black pepper) to the meat mixture and combine well.
- After the cranberry sauce has melted, roll the meat mixture into walnut sized balls and gently drop into the sauce.
- Cover the pan and cook the meatballs on medium low for one hour.
This recipe makes around twenty-four meatballs. Serve them with plenty of challah to soak up the delicious sauce.
Tadalafil Buy Online Uk No Prescription Pharmacy Uk. Men’s Health. Free Courier Delivery, Stop Smoking, Erectile Dysfunction, Discount System tadalafil buy online. Tadalafil Buy Online Uk – Great Discounts. Tadalafil relaxes muscles and increases blood flow to particular areas of the body. Tadalafil under the name of Cialis. Discount wholesale order tadalafil, online cheap canada cheapest cipla buy pill generic super no prescription usa tablets india for. Viagra samples cheapest in order tadalafil online cheap. Tadalafil no prescription. Excellent quality. Generic Tabs Online No Prescription! Save your Time and Money. Cheap Tadalafil Online Pharmacy..
Did you like the story or the recipe....
creamy and light quiche lorraine by Judy
Whenever I go out for a breakfast or a brunch, I always think about ordering the quiche, but I usually don't make that selection because I'm usually disappointed.
Fresh Spinach And Mushroom Calzone With Fantastic Homemade Pizza Dough by Judy
I had so much fun this weekend cooking pizza and calzones.
Homemade Ricotta Cheese with Fresh Herbs and Lemon by Judy
Over the last few months, I've been wanting to make my own ricotta cheese.