I love quiche, but I don’t often make it because, let’s face it, it’s not exactly healthy. When I happen to have a frozen pie crust in the freezer, either fresh or frozen asparagus or some mushrooms, some half and half or light cream, and swiss cheese in the fridge, I decide it’s time to treat myself and my daughter Randi, who loves my quiche. I have these items handy more often now, because I’ve become a real Costco shopper, and I like to buy their fresh asparagus or mushrooms, and their lite gruyere cheese- which is delicious. This morning, I realized I had all the ingredients with about and hour and a half to spare, so I decided it was time to make some quiche.
for one quiche:
- 3 extra large eggs or 3 large eggs plus one egg yolk (or 4 large eggs-3/2011)
- 1 1/2 cups of light cream or half and half – or 3/4 cup heavy cream plus 3/4 cup whole milk (March 2011, only used about 11/4 cups light cream)
- about 1 pound or a little more fresh asparagus, roasted or 1/2 box of frozen asparagus spears, defrosted
- 1 frozen deep dish pie shell, Oronique is my preference
- 4 – 5 oz. Swiss or Gruyere cheese ( I like to use lite gruyere or alpine lace, but any swiss is fine)(Used about 1/2 lb. 3-11)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cover sheet pan with aluminum foil. Cut ends off asparagus spears. Place on pan. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle a tablespoon of light olive oil over, toss asparagus with oil. Roast for about 20 -25 min. till asparagus is cooked. Set aside to cool. Then cut spears into bite sized pieces. Or defrost 1 16 oz. box of frozen asparagus spears, pat dry, then cut into bite sized pieces, use about 1/2 of the asparagus or more if you wish for one quiche.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.Take a frozen deep dish pie shell in its aluminum pan and place it in a pyrex pie plate to prevent any mess in the oven. Prick pie crust all over with fork. Bake for about 10 min. Then take out of oven.
In medium bowl, whisk or beat with fork, eggs with cream, add salt and pepper. Spread asparagus (or mushrooms-see instructions below) over bottom of crust, tear cheese into medium to smallish pieces and place over asparagus, pour egg and cream mixture over. Place on sheet pan in preheated oven, and bake 45-55 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean, and quiche is nicely puffed and lightly browned. Serve.
for mushroom quiche:
Saute 10 oz. of sliced white or baby bella mushrooms with or without 1/2 chopped onion, with little kosher salt, papper, optional 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil or only olive oil till caramelized.